Welcome to a new generation of education - students chosen by potential and geared for success in their desired careers.

HomeMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Long Overdue

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Presley checked her watch and straightened the skirt of her black dress. It blew up in the wind. And she pushed it back down again. A stray piece of fuzz clung to her black stockings; she picked it off, flicking it into the street. The bag on her arm weighed her down; she wished again that she’d taken the time to pull Aidan’s diapers and such out of it before leaving the school. Her stuff took up only a small amount of space in the black pleather purse, and it would have been so much easier to clean it out. She could only imagine trying to find her wallet amongst the Toy Story pullups and travel-sized animal cracker bags.
Letting out a sigh, Presley lifted the bag up onto her shoulder and turned in time to see Rachel emerge from the school. She flashed Rachel a bright smile, straightening her waves and dress again.
“Hey, Rache,” She called, unlocking the door to her car. It was a much needed girls’ lunch, and it was well overdo, “I’m glad you could come to lunch today.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

Zodiac : Libra Posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Rachel fumbled with her phone as she walked out of her classroom. Sebastian was calling her about "a food crisis" and although she'd told him she'd run to the store after lunch, he wouldn't stop calling. She finally managed to turn it off, walking as fast as she could to get outside. She was already running late; Rachel had spent fifteen extra minutes talking to a student about a test they needed to make up. And of course, Presley was the last person she wanted to keep waiting.

After a far too long elevator ride which made Rachel wish she had just ran down the stairs, she walked out the doors to the school and out to the parking lot, where Presley was waving. Rachel beamed and smiled, hugging her as soon as she was close enough. "Hello, love." She greeted, getting into the car. "You have no idea how happy I was when you called, I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. How have you been?" Rachel asked immediately, putting her bag by her feet as Pres started the car.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 pm

The bad thing was, she really hadn’t seen Rachel in forever. Between Aidan and school, Pres’ schedule was blocked up for the next eight years, it seemed. She started up the car, turning over her shoulder to back out of her parking space, “Oh you know,” she started, pausing long enough to put the car in drive, “everything’s been really busy lately.”
Her tone was borderline exasperated; she felt the itching urge to check her phone and text Isaac, making sure, once again, that he was sure he was fine with being left alone with Aidan. He wasn’t easy to deal with alone, and Isaac was still recovering from the fiasco with his brother. Either way, Presley needed to get out and go somewhere. She was driving herself insane, staring at the blank walls with kid-show theme music droning on in the background and Aidan’s shrill laughter.
“I meant to bring Aidan by to see you and James last week, but then we had to go to Colorado and…” she let her voice trail off, a sigh escaping her lips. She clicked her tongue and forced a smile onto her face.
Rachel knew how hard it was to raise a child who wasn’t her biological responsibility. Pres knew that. And it wasn’t that she didn’t love Aidan – God she loved him, with those big blue eyes and tangled curls. She loved the way his fingers closed around hers, the way he curled into her when she and Isaac read him stories at night. Her love for Aidan was immeasurable.
But there was always the looming fact that she wasn’t his mom and she wasn’t biologically responsible for him. Rachel didn’t need to hear that type of complaining anymore, she had done that before, with Presley.
“How have you guys been? I saw Seb the other night.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 pm

"Really?" Rachel asked, straightening out her blouse. "I'm sorry to hear that. And, don't worry, how is he?" Rachel loved Aidan, and although she was sad she hadn't been able to see him, she knew that things had been tough lately and understood Presley's reasoning. "How was Colorado?" Rachel was nervous to ask the question, Presley seemed as if something bad had happened.

"We're doing alright." Rachel replied, running a hand through her hair. "Everything's been a bit crazy lately, we haven't been able to get together as a family in awhile, which I miss."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 pm

“Colorado was, well… taking a two year old on a road trip is really hard,” Presley forced a laugh and pulled her hair over her shoulder, “but it was okay. Isaac’s brother is… well. He got in a plane crash and it’s his biological brother, so that was hard on him, but we haven’t really talked much about that since.” Presley bit her lip, glad she had to keep her eyes focused on the road. There was too much going on right now; Benjamin’s death had been enough to push her over the edge.
“I miss family time, too,” she pushed on, “a lot. I’m ready for things to go back to normal.” She wasn’t sure what normal was anymore, but anything other than this would be good.
“I’m ready for a break from school. One less thing to worry about. Since I can’t exactly stop worrying about everyone here.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Rachel smiled, looking down at her knees. "Yeah, I've tried." She responded softly, trying to avoid the thought of how that trip ended. "How far of a drive is Colorado? I don't think I've ever been." She questioned, relaxing back into her seat. "I'm so sorry to hear that…" Rachel said, suddenly grateful that both of her sisters were still alive. She nodded as Presley moved the conversation onto family, knowing Presley probably missed everyone as much as she did. "I feel like I haven't seen anyone in forever. I hate to say it, but we probably won't all be able to get together until graduation time comes around." Another thing she didn't want to think about.

"How's school been, otherwise?" Rachel asked, tapping her fingers on her knee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:05 pm

“It’s a long drive, let’s just say that.” She wasn’t really sure how long of a drive it had been. She’d fallen asleep on Isaac for part of the ride, and the other half she’d wrestled with Aidan who did not enjoy being strapped down into his carseat for so long.
Presley sucked in a deep breath at graduation, her fingers tightening around the steering wheel. She didn’t want to think about graduation. Graduation meant Seb leaving. Seb was her anchor, she couldn’t lose him, not now when everything seemed to be falling to pieces. What if it got worse and he was already gone? What if he found a place that he liked better somewhere that was an even farther drive away than Colorado.
Throat tight and knuckles white, Presley pulled into a parking spot in front of the restaurant and put the car in park. She took a deep, calming breath before finally responding to Rachel, “I’m sure we can always squeeze in some family time at some point. The Montezes always find a way.”
She opened the door and straightened her dress, a nervous habit, "School is school."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Rachel laughed softly, running a hand through her hair. "Road trips are difficult with toddlers." She said, opening her door and straightening out her top as they exited the car. Rachel smiled at Presley, nodding. "I hope so." She replied, walking into the restaurant and asking for a table for two. "Well, I can't say I relate, but I know what you're saying." Rachel had always enjoyed school, so it had always been hard for her to fathom why people didn't always love it. Although, raising Sebastian had made it easier on her.

The two girls were seated at a table. Rachel drank from the glass of water in front of her, looking over the menu although she knew what she wanted. "So, I was talking to Sebastian this morning." Rachel began, waiting for Presley to look up before she went on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm

She was talking to Sebastian. That couldn’t be good. Presley’s head jerked up, a look of fear momentarily crossing her face, “I didn’t do it.” She said on instinct. She crossed her legs beneath the table and twirled a loose curl around her finger. She kept her eyes on Rachel, blinking innocently at her.
Sebastian could have told her a number of things. After she and Isaac’s temporary break up, she may or may not have unloaded everything she’d felt for the past month on him, “I promise.” She finished finally, throwing her a reassuring smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Rachel laughed at Presley's reaction, crossing her legs and leaning back in the booth. "I'm not accusing you of anything." She smiled, taking another sip of water. The waiter came around; Rachel passed on a drink, staying with water. She went on when the waiter finally left, how slow could he possibly write? "Anyways, he said that the police were talking to you the other day…I didn't get much more before he went to class." Rachel ran her fingers across the smooth wood of the table, hoping Presley wouldn't be uncomfortable. "Was it about Benjamin?" She figured it was, but she had to ask. Rachel needed to make sure Presley wasn't doing something illegal, although she really doubted that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Presley kept her eyes on Rachel’s fingers, the sparkling wedding ring adorning her left hand. She felt a small smile tugging at her lips, momentarily distracted from the matter at hand. Lately, Presley was back and forth between bubbly and breaking down. But the mention of Benjamin’s death brought her back full circle and she looked up, resting her chin in her hand.
“They just had questions about ben. Apparently I’m the only one in the area who was pretty close to him and they had some holes to fill in in the case. It wasn’t anything major, I mean,” she felt herself getting choked up and she closed her mouth around her straw quickly. Presley took a long sip of sweet tea, hands clenching and unclenching around the hem of her dress.
“I think that… that it will all blow over soon. That’s what Isaac said, at least.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Rachel nodded. "Well I'm glad you're not getting arrested." She smiled softly, reaching across and squeezing Presley's hand. "It will, I'm sure. Something like that in a town like this…don't worry about it, Presley." She reassured, sensing that the girl was getting emotional. "Are you doing alright?" Rachel asked sympathetically. She realized that Presley must've been under a lot lately, and wanted to make sure that the girl was doing alright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:47 pm

She ran her thumb over Rachel’s hand, squeezing it slightly, “I’m well, Rache. Really well. Handling everything as best I can. Isaac, well. He makes everything easier.” She smiled slightly, a faint blush coloring her cheeks.
“I mean, things have been rough for both of us recently, but we don’t focus on just that.” She took another sip of her drink and dropped her eyes, then flicked them back up to Rachel’s and shrugged, biting her lip. She didn’t talk about Isaac much with her family. But lately, with Aidan and everything else, something had changed. She wanted to talk about him to make up for not being with him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:53 pm

Rachel smiled. "Good." She nodded as Presley spoke. Rachel had always admired how optimistic Presley was; no matter what, she could always put a smile on her face and turn the situation around. "I'm glad that you're trying to focus on the right things, that's a very healthy thing to do." Rachel said, taking another drink of water. "And I'm sure everything will get easier. It's a hard time for everyone, it seems like. It'll all be alright." She smiled as she reassured Presley, hoping that her own words were true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 pm

“Yeah, it’ll get better. It has to. I mean, I don’t know of much that could happen anymore.” Well. There were a few things she could think of. But they were extreme and she forced them out of her mind. She ordered her food when the waitress came around again, handing the waitress her menu and settling her hands back in her lap. She waited until Rachel was done ordering to start up the conversation.
“How long was it before you and James were engaged?”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 am

Rachel nodded, hoping that Presley was right. The extreme things that could be any worse than what was going on were highly unlikely, and Rachel knew that they weren't going to happen. The waitress came and she ordered her meal, handing over the menu. The brunette arched an eyebrow at Presley's question, having to think a moment. "Well…it was awhile. Maybe seven years? I think seven, yeah. Through high school and most of college, though." She finally responded, playing with the wedding ring on her left hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:06 am

Presley blew her bangs out of her face. They needed a trim; she was still contemplating getting all of her hair cut off. Aidan's sticky hands often presented a problem with her long locks.
"Do you wish you two could have gotten married sooner?" she asked, swinging her legs beneath the table, "I mean, do you think it would have worked out if you had gotten together sooner?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 am

Rachel licked her lips and ran a hand through her hair. She couldn't pretend like this was the first time she'd been asked that question. "I mean, I was 22 when we got married, which is still pretty young." Rachel sighed before completely answering the question. "I always wished that we had…but then again, we were really young. I would want Seb or Maura to wait. I would say…it would have worked out, but only because I've actually never dated anyone besides James. He's really the only person I can see myself with, and I can't speak for him, but I would do and would have done anything to keep him around." She finished, tapping her fingers on the table. "Why do you ask?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:25 am

Presley nodded, ignoring the question afterward. She rested her chin in her hand again, smiling slightly, “How long did you know that he was the one you wanted to marry before you two actually tied the knot?” she tucked her feet up under her, an old habit. There were certain advantages to being tiny, she supposed. She put her free hand on the table and ran her fingers over the handle of her fork.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:33 am

Rachel ignored the urge to sigh as Presley ignored her question, but let it go. For now. "Um…I think I always knew. There were times I doubted myself, but I always felt like he was the one. Then again, I can't really compare, considering he really was the only guy I was ever with. " Rachel ran a hand through her hair again, waiting for Presley and her next marital question. It was almost weird for Rachel to be talking about these things, they hadn't been brought up in quite some time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 am

Presley giggled and closed her eyes for a moment, picturing young Rachel and James in her mind. She fluttered her eyes open again, “tell me about the wedding,” she said in one breath, leaning forward across the table. She’d never talked to Rachel about things like this. But then, she’d never had a reason to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:49 am

Rachel pursed her lips. "It was pretty small. My sisters and his family, Lucas and Juniper and other friends. It was here, at a banquet hall by the ocean. It was March, and it was freezing. We'd thought about a beach wedding, and it's a good thing we didn't. Um, I remember the cake was really good. I think it was a chocolate cheesecake. The reception was at the same banquet hall, in a separate room. But there weren't more than fifty people, I don't think." Rachel said, telling Presley everything she could think of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 am

“It sounds perfect.” Presley could only imagine it. The beautiful flowers… how beautiful Rachel looked in her dress. She’d seen pictures of the wedding, but thinking about it, making it come to life in her mind was so different.
“I want a small wedding,” Presley blurted out. She pushed on, eyes gazing off somewhere, “a small wedding with family and friends. A small bridal party. Flowers all around. I love flowers. And a dress that spins and moves as I move. I don’t think I want a train… but I do want a veil. A beautiful veil. One that frames my face. Or if not a veil, then a flower crown. Oh a flower crown would be beautiful Rachel, wouldn’t it? Can’t you just imagine the people sitting on wooden benches. Light pink petals everywhere… everyone so happy. It’d be such a beautiful wedding.” She let out a lighthearted sigh, her smile stretching across her face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 am

Rachel laughed, watching Presley's face as she talked about her dream wedding. "It sounds very lovely. Although I can't imagine your wedding not being lovely." She smiled, tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear. "Have you been thinking a lot about marriage lately?" Rachel wondered. It only made sense that it would be the reason for all the wedding questions. As girly as Presley was, she'd never brought up her wedding like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:07 am

“As much as I probably shouldn’t, what with everything going on, I have. I mean, that’s natural, right? To think about marriage a lot?” Presley dropped her hand from beneath her chin and smiled as the waitress brought them their food. She twirled her fork around her pasta and let her head lull from side to the side as she waited for them to move on.
Finally, she continued, “I just. I don’t know, Rachel. I want to be married. Not just married, but… married to, well, Isaac.” She hadn’t admitted that to herself out loud yet, but saying the words felt right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am

Rachel nodded. "I always thought about my wedding, more so when I was with James." The food arrived, and Rachel waited for the chicken to cool slightly before cutting into it. "I understand. Do you know if Isaac feels the same way?" Rachel questioned, crossing her legs. She was excited for Presley. Although she didn't know Isaac too well, he seemed like a great guy for her. And as long as she was happy, so was Rachel. "Would you want more kids?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:27 am

“I… I don’t know. I think the only thing he thinks about anymore is Aidan and sleep. Rachel, it’s awful,” Presley let her fork slip from her hand and fall to the plate. It made a soft clinking noise. She rested her head against the back of the booth.
“We don’t get alone time anymore. And even if we did, Aidan’s room is right down the hall. And the most intimate thing we do now is… buy applesauce from the really skinny aisle in Walmart where we have to like stand right next to each other. And sometimes I come home and he’s already asleep. We don’t even get to talk much anymore.
“Despite that, though… I love him. I really do. I love watching him with Aidan. I love it when I can wrap my arms around him when he is awake when I come home. I love the way my clothes always end up smelling like peppermint even when we’re not together. I love that anytime I have a night terror I don’t have to call you or James to give me medicine because Isaac makes sure that it’s okay. And I love how he is with Aidan. That’s my favorite thing about him. He’s a father. He’s… he’s such an amazing father, Rache.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 am

Rachel frowned. "Presley, that's not true. I know…believe me, I know that sometimes it seems like you're alone in your feelings, but you're not." She listened as Presley went on about Isaac, and smiled slightly. Rachel hadn't seen Presley this happy in awhile, and this was when she was kind of down. "I mean, I hardly know him so I really shouldn't judge, but I think Isaac is a great guy who really does care about you. You should talk to him, see what he thinks about marriage." Rachel suggested, picking up her knife and fork and cutting a piece of chicken. "But bring him to the house for a family dinner, so James and I can make sure he's acceptable."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Presley Montez
Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:20 am

Presley nodded, “We should have family dinner soon. That, at last, should be manageable. And now that Isaac and Sebastian are on agreeable terms…” she trailed off, shoving a bite of pasta in her mouth.
“I really do hope you love him, Rache. I don’t think right now is the right time to talk to him about marriage. I also don’t want him to feel pressured. I mean, if he gets scared off, I’m really not sure what I’ll do.”
Presley stabbed at her food a bit, flicking her eyes between Rachel and the people around them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel Montez
Latin Professor

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:29 am

Rachel nodded, taking a bite of her chicken. "Maybe Sebastian can bring his girlfriend too…" Rachel realized how little she knew the boyfriends and girlfriends of her children, which bothered her. "And Maura can bring Caleb. It'll be lovely." She took another bite, listening to Presley speak. "I understand. When the time is right, don't be afraid to bring it up. But if you think he's under a lot right now, then do wait." Rachel hoped that Presley wouldn't be afraid to ask. "How's work?" She asked, trying to bring a new subject up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Overdue   

Back to top Go down

Long Overdue
Page 1 of 1