Welcome to a new generation of education - students chosen by potential and geared for success in their desired careers.

HomeMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

No Place Like Home For The Holiday

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slayden Smith
Graduate of Caput Capitis

PostSubject: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Slayden's jeep turned up gravel and dust as he pulled into the long driveway, a slow sigh escaping his lips. He cast his eyes over to Kat in the passenger seat, flashing her a bright smile. When he reached the end of the driveway, he set the Jeep in park and rubbed his sweaty hands on his jeans. The setting was all too familiar to him - twinkling Christmas lights wound around a white porch. The white wicker swing that rocked back and forth in the light breeze... he ran his eyes over the house a few times, trying to figure out if the feeling of longing had always been there, buried inside, or if being home had brought it on. He felt a sudden need to be inside, to crawl in his bed.
"So? Are you ready?" Slayden asked, cutting off the jeep. He drummed his fingers on his knee for a moment, tilting his head to the side, "They're so, so excited to see you. Especially Karlee. She's thrilled."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

Zodiac : Scorpio Posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Kat tapped her fingers on her knees nervously, looking around at the familiar surroundings as they drove up Slayden's driveway. No matter how many times she came here for holidays, the house and it's beauty never ceased to amaze her. She loved the Christmas lights that hung at this time of year, but the whole house was so beautiful to her. Kat had always loved coming here, and now it felt even more like home.

"Yeah!" Kat replied, taking a deep breath and pushing her hair back. She smiled at Slayden, nodding her head. "I'm so excited to see them, too. My parents are really looking forward to seeing you again, they said."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 pm

"Excuse me if I'm more nervous around your parents than normal." Slayden replied, throwing open the door to the Jeep. He hopped out, his boots crunching on the gravel. After slamming his door shut, Slayden jogged over to Kat's side of the car and opened it for her, offering her his hand. "And once again," Slayden whispered, kissing her cheek, "you look beautiful." This close, Slayden could smell Kat's perfume and hear her steady breathing. He gripped her waist with both of his hands, enjoying the feeling of being close to her for a moment longer, before pulling back to kiss her gently.
"Mama and Pops said they made a bunch of food." Slayden informed her as they began the long walk towards the front porch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Kat smiled, moving to open her door. Slayden beat her to it, however, and she stepped out of the car, taking his hand. She blushed at his compliment, smiling and looking up at him. "You look very handsome." The redhead responded as she rested her hands on his shoulders. Kat straightened the collar of his shirt just before he pulled back to kiss her. She returned the kiss for a moment, just until they started to walk towards the house. She took his hand as they stepped towards his home, smiling at his words. "Really? That's great, I've missed their food so much."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Slayden knocked on the chipping door to the house, leaning against the porch beside it. "Well good. I hope you can eat a lot." As soon as the words fell from his lips, Slayden heard pounding feet on the hardwood floors inside the house. A moment later, the door flew open and small girl threw herself out of it, wrapping her arms around Slayden's waist. The boy stumbled backwards, arms catching his sister as she collided with him.
"Slayden!" Karlee exclaimed, pulling back from him. Her curls fell in her face; Slayden smoothed them back.
"Hey, Karls!" Slayden responded. Karlee pushed off from him and threw her arms around Kat next.
"Kat!" The fourteen year old exclaimed, "it's so good to see you!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Kat nodded, her head turning to the door as soon as Slayden had knocked on it. She could hear people running, most likely Jacob and Karlee. The redhead smiled as Slayden's two younger siblings opened the door, laughing as they ran into each other. Kat returned Karlee's hug just as tightly, running a hand through the fourteen year old's hair and still smiling. "It's great to see you too, sweetheart."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Jacob Smith emerged from the door a few seconds after Karlee, hugging Slayden tightly. Both siblings stepped back, smiling at Kat and Slayden. "Mama's been waiting for you to show up," Karlee stated simply, "she said if you were late then she'd skin you and hang you from the oak tree outside." Slayden laughed, ruffling Karlee's hair, "and was that before or after you put on all that makeup? You know pops doesn't like that." Slayden replied; Karlee pulled a face at him, turning to Kat.
"Do I look pretty with makeup?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. "You're pretty so you know what pretty looks like."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Kat smiled at Jacob, straightening out her jacket as the two younger kids looked up at them. The redhead laughed at Karlee's words about Mrs. Smith, smiling at Slayden's comment about Kaylee's makeup. She smiled as the fourteen year old turned to her, blushing at her comment. "Thank you, doll. And I think you look lovely without the makeup. Not that you don't look pretty now, I just don't think you need as much." Kat responded, hearing more footsteps as her sister walked down the hall and out onto the doorstep.

"Good to see you, sis." Lyssa greeted, hugging Kat tightly and smiling at Slayden. "Your parents made a ton of food, it all smells amazing." The other redhead said, smiling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 pm

"LYSS!!" Slayden greeted cheerfully, wrapping Kat's sister in a bear hug. He rocked them side to side for a moment, smiling into her shoulder. When he pulled back, he returned to Kat's side. "God you've grown, Lyss." Slayden said, right as his mother came to the doorway.
"All of you. Get inside now or you'll catch a cold." Meredith commanded; Slayden shuffled in with Lyss and Kat.
Once inside, he shed his coat and hung it from a coat hanger, folding his arms around his mother in a tight hug. He had to bend down due to their height difference; she was so tiny compared to him. His arms engulfed her, and she kissed his cheek, laughing, "it's good to have both of you back for Christmas. You, too, Kathryn, sweetie. My you're so beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Kat smiled brightly as Slayden hugged her sister tightly. "So have you, army boy." Lyss responded, leading both of them in as Mrs. Smith urged. Kat brushed her shoes off on the doorstep, untying the belt of her coat and unbuttoning it before hanging it on the coat hanger beside her. The redhead smoothed down the front of her black dress, waiting as Slayden hugged his mother before greeting her herself. She blushed at the compliment, laughing nervously for a moment. "Oh, thank you. It's great to see you, Mrs. Smith." Kat greeted, beaming as she hugged the woman tightly. "Thank you so much for having me."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:08 pm

"Oh sugarplum, please. Do not call me Mrs. Smith. Call me Meredith. Or better yet, Mama." Meredith winked playfully at Kat, and Slayden threw her a look, rolling his eyes. "Well, I'm going to go get the Turkey out of the oven. Slayden sweetie, your dad went to go get some ice. Mind helping me set up a bit? And keeping your sister out of the presents?" Meredith straightened her red dress, spinning on her heels and jogging off to the kitchen, before Slayden could respond. He turned to Kat, smiling.
"I guess I'll go set up?" He questioned, staring back to the spot his mother had just Ben standing, "I don't think she's been in that much of a hyper drive in years."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Kat laughed, nodding. "Alright." She responded, glancing over at Slayden before returning her attention back to his mother. However, she disappeared as soon as she'd appeared, leaving Kat and Slayden standing in the foyer. She laughed at his comment. "I'll come and help you, I'm sure -" Her words were cut off when two more pairs of footsteps came around, of course, how could she have forgotten about her parents? "Oh, it's so good to see you two." Her mother greeted, hugging Kat tightly before moving over to Slayden. "You've grown so much, Slayden." She spoke as Kat stretched to wrap her arms around her father, who kissed the top of her head before turning to face his wife and Slayden. "It's good to see you, son." Mr. Valentyn said to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Slayden gave Kat's parents a broad smile as they made their way into the foyer, returning Kat's mother's hug tightly. He wrinkled his nose as he stepped back, sticking out his hand for Mr. Valentyn. "It's good to see both of you," Slayden remarked as Kat's dad shook his hand firmly. When he dropped his hand, Slayden straightened his color, pushing the cotton ball in the back of his throat down. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't push away the thought that soon they'd be more than just his girlfriend's parents.
Soon they would be his parents, too.
"I'm gonna go help mama. I'm sure you two have already made yourselves at home - or at least, I'm sure mama has already told you to... but please do. This is as much your home as it is ours." Slayden remarked, rocking back on his heels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Kat watched nervously as her parents greeted Slayden. They got along well, and she was grateful for that. "Oh, we can't thank you enough for having us, sweetheart. Your home is so beautiful, and it's so nice to have everyone back for this Christmas." Her mother said in reply to Slayden, beaming brightly. Kat couldn't help but feel nervous about this holiday, she was very worried about how her family would react to the news of the wedding. "I'll come with you, Slayden." The redhead finally spoke, smiling at him and following him out of the foyer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:44 pm

After dinner had been placed and blessings spoken, Slayden piled a mountain of ham onto his plate, smiling around a mouthful of dressing as his mother scolded him. "Slayden Smith. I did not raise you to be a pig. Mind your manners."
"Sorry, mom." Slayden choked out, swallowing the dressing. He smiled at Kat, bumping his knee against hers beneath the table. Across from him, Karlee flashed him a knowing smile.
"Kat, I do apologize for my son," Meredith said quietly, dabbing a napkin at the corners of her lips.
"We did try to raise him right, you know." Slayden a father said next, winking at Kat.
Slayden let out a groan, "she knows. She was there. Literally. Pretty sure the Valentyns had a good part in raising me, too."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

They all took their seats around the table, and said a prayer. As soon as the blessing was over, everyone started serving themselves food. Kat took a portion ham, along with some vegetables and potatoes. She took a bite, trying not to laugh as Slayden's mother scolded him. Kat returned Slayden's smile, her face turning a light shade of pink when he bumped his knee against hers. The redhead laughed softly at his parents' comments, pressing her water glass to her lips and taking a sip.

"Oh, you two raised a wonderful son." Kat's mother said, and her father nodded in agreement. "Are you liking the school, love?" Her mother then asked Slayden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slayden Smith

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Slayden cleared his throat, "oh the school's great. I mean, Kat's there, soo...." He let his voice trail off; Karlee made a dramatic gagging sound, shoving a bite of ham in her mouth. Slayden rolled his eyes, blushing slightly. "But I mean, the teachers are good and classes are fun. So it's all good."
"We're glad he has you at the school, Kat." Slayden's mother said, peeling plastic wrap from a pecan pie for his father.
"She certainly makes things more enjoyable." Slayden slung his arm over the back of Kat's chair, wrinkling his nose at her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn Valentyn

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Kat took another bite of ham, blushing at Slayden's words. Her mother nodded, smiling at Slayden. The redhead tried to ignore Karlee's noise, but she smiled and blushed even more. "Oh, it's really nice having Slayden there." Kat said in reply, ignoring the look her older sister gave her. She turned to Slayden as she felt his arm swing over the back of her chair, smiling brightly at him until her father cleared his throat.

"Slayden, how was your time at the academy?" Her father questioned, setting down his glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Place Like Home For The Holiday   

Back to top Go down

No Place Like Home For The Holiday
Page 1 of 1